COVID-19: Letters from the Superintendent of Schools
Supporting Online Learning
In addition to the great resources found on the Ministry of Education’s Keep Learning website, for those of you looking for more tips for supporting your kids at home with online learning, please see the following resources from Common Sense Media, a trusted nonprofit based in the US focused on supporting the responsible use of digital media and tech:
Healthy at Home
DASH – Dedicated Action for School Health is a not-for-profit society committed to promoting, supporting and facilitating the creation of healthy school communities in BC. DASH resources are found here.
Mental Health Resources
General Mental Health
- ERASE-Mental Health & Well-Being
- Open School BC: Keeping Healthy
- COVID-19 : Stay Well in Uncertain Times – resources from the Canadian Mental Health Association
- Mental health and coping with COVID-19
- Talking with children about COVID-19
- Foundry offers free, confidential virtual drop-in counselling sessions by voice, video and chat to BC’s young people ages 12-24 and their care-givers. No referral or assessment is required.
- Wellness Together Canada-Wellness Together Canada provides an online portal that allows Canadians to access self-assessments, self-directed e-mental health tools, peer support and live counselling by telephone, video and text.
- Parenting during COVID-19– A recorded parent meeting with Whistler local clinical counsellor Greg MacDonnell to provide education and discussion for parents during COVID-19
- Kelty Mental Health-offers resources for parents and caregivers.
- Kelty’s Key – offers online therapy and self-help resources
- Family Smart – Squamish’s Parent in Residence who can provide support can be reached at email@example.com (Phone # 604 878 3400)
- Mental Health Foundations – offers some good resources and videos for parents and caregivers
- WE (of We Day fame) – offers a number of free resources to help parents and youth nurture their well-being and the well-being others in difficult times
Mood & Anxiety
- Bounce Back – a Canadian Mental Health on-line skill building program for adults and youth (15+) to manage mood and anxiety.
- Anxiety Canada – offers information and self help regarding anxiety
- Parent's Guide to Teen Depression - a guide on how you can recognize the signs and sumptoms and best help your child.
ADHD & Parenting Resources
- Confident Parents Thriving Kids – offers telephone coaching to parents
- Rolling With ADHD – online strategies for parenting a child with ADHD
- ADHD Psycho-Ed Videos by Russell Barkley
After Hours Resources
Outside Agency Resources
BC Summer Reading Club - Kids ages 5-14 register for this free program with their local public library. They record their reading progress, building self-confidence and developing their reading skills, while participating in fun activities. Online registration begins June 15 at the BC Summer Reading Club website.
Over the next few months we will be featuring topics of popular interested to families so stay tuned or check out our website www.familysupportbc.com
All sessions are free! Registration required.
For a full list of events for the period of October 11 to October 25 please see below.
Click here to view all of our free upcoming Learning Exploration workshops.